InvestEngine was launched in May 2019 by Gumtree co-founder Simon Crookall. In market shorthand, we are the next-generation investment platform that helps individuals and small businesses control
their investments portfolios. We were the first firm in our sector to launch an investment account for SMEs, income portfolios, and more recently our free DIY investing platform.
A lean start-up with big plans for innovative new services and growth, we are FCA-regulated and London-based — but very open to flexible working. About the role
We are looking for an energetic, independent-minded Senior Investment Professional to be a key member of our team in London. This position will require the individual to be certified under the SMCR, with the scope to grow into a member of the executive team. We want someone who will focus on establishing our quantitative investment methodology and then applying this, with our development and compliance teams to bring innovative features to our customers.
You will oversee our premium or discretionary managed portfolios, and work on not only our investment products but industry wide initiatives for the business — whether the current or future proposition.
As a small but growing team, we'll want you to actively participate in all aspects of the business with a 'can do' and 'roll your sleeves up' attitude and willing to take on responsibility. As a start-up we are always developing our Products - and you'll be instrumental in the release of exciting new services for UK investors and later overseas. Our expectations of you
- To enjoy the responsibility of being the Head of Investments
- Ensure the business uses best practice methodologies for constructing its' investment portfolios
- Clear communication, with the ability to discuss our products and methodologies with the media, stakeholders and our clients
- Be fully aware of the key current academic and professional standards, but not limited to:
- Modern portfolio theory and personalised risk tolerances
- Diverse asset class selection methods
- Rebalancing techniques
- ETF selection criteria
- Being proportionate to implementing a Compliance Framework to a 'start-up' Company and implement a monitoring regime which will improve customer experience, be commercially sensitive, reduces cost and risks to our business
- Be passionate about fintech businesses, you will use your knowledge and experience to help formulate strategy, propose solutions and manage risk
- Be a leader in product vision and marketing strategy through proactive engagement with the team members
- To maintain a strong knowledge of the UK Investment Market and Regulatory infrastructure
- Being part of the team delivering solution solving via expert advice and guidanc
What you will need
- Be driven and determined to be part of a high-growth start-up team where you will have the opportunity to make a significant impact
- To be prepared and be flexible in research through, knowledge and using industry contacts, to find answers where you may not have previous experience
- Experience of working in financial services, ideally in B2C investment management, which will involve market abuse, best execution and the MiFID II requirements. With a sound knowledge of international expansions and pensions for UK investors
- An understanding of investment operations and ability to help optimise systems and processes
- Inspiring Leader of a team and influencer at all levels of an organization
- Deep understanding of all academic and professional modern portfolio management techniques
- Strong Knowledge of Industry Standards, FCA Rules/Guidance and other relevant legal and regulatory requirements.
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills
- The ability to restructure complex problems, making them more manageable, and to assist colleagues — with a service delivery attitude
- Awareness of the changing investment management landscape and the curiosity to find opportunities in technology, market developments, though these changes
- At least 5 years of directly relevant experience as a Senior Investment Manager or Head of Investments and have been a certified and/or Senior Management Function Holder previously.
- Ideally have obtained industry qualifications relating investment management such as IMC (CFA) or IAD (CISI)
- Knowledge and experience of systems required to carry out your role, including Bloomberg, Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Excel), VBA. Understanding of programming languages is desirable.
Who we are looking for
An outstanding academic and professional track record, with hands on experience running systematic, statistically-driven, scalable trading strategies. Portfolio Manager candidates should have experience with all aspects of the research process including methodology selection, data collection and analysis, testing, prototyping, backtesting, and performance monitoring. We seek individuals who are innovative, intellectually driven with an intense curiosity about financial markets and human behavior.
You must be someone who can fit into a diverse and growing team that shares the desire to disrupt and succeed. You will be comfortable working autonomously and taking ownership/responsibility of projects, problems and their solutions. We like transparency and communication, especially given that we're often working flexibly (not just in lockdown), and being open-minded and flexible are key at InvestEngine.
If you feel you're a suitable candidate for this position, please do not hesitate to apply and find out more.